Contractors: Lend Lease
Form of contract: Design and construct contract
Start date of major construction: Mid 2012
Expected completion date: First half of 2015 (weather permitting)
Project value: $862 million
Australian Government contribution: $566.1 million *
NSW State Government contribution: $295.9 million *
The Tintenbar to Ewingsdale section of the Pacific Highway upgrade is approximately 17 kilometres in length starting at the northern end of the Ballina bypass at Ross Lane and extending to the Ewingsdale interchange.
The project was approved for construction in January 2010.
Lend Lease have been awarded the contract to design and build the project.
- Improved road safety.
- Uninterrupted highway traffic flow.
- Easy access on and off the highway for local traffic.
- Interchanges for motorists to safely enter and exit the highway.
- A four lane divided road, with a wide median allowing for the future addition of a third lane in each direction when required.
- A motorway standard highway with a 110 km/h speed limit and no access for traffic between interchanges.
- Separated local traffic and highway traffic by providing a continuous alternative local road link between Tintenbar and Ewingsdale for school buses and motorists who do not wish to use the upgraded highway.
What’s happening from January to March 2014
- Environmental management, bulk earthwork and drainage installation.
- Retaining wall construction at Skinners Creek, Martins Lane West, Bangalow Rd and in Tinderbox Valley
- Controlled open-cut blasting at Minor Creek, Arundel Hill, Ewingsdale and St Helena twin tunnels.
- Continued construction of bridges at Minor Creek, Emigrant Creek, Broken Head Road, Skinners Creek, Access Road D at Bangalow, Bangalow Road, Byron Creek and Tinderbox Creek including out-of-hours concrete deck pours.
- Construction of the tunnel control centre underground water storage tanks on St Helena Road.
Rock crushing operations at Minor Creek, Arundel Hill, Bangalow, William Flick Lane and the tunnel portals.
- Construction of interchange works on Bangalow Road.
- Opening of three new local access roads in Newrybar and Bangalow.
- Diversion of traffic onto new Broken Head Rd bridge.
- Construction of Pacific Highway southbound and northbound on-ramps at Myocum and Ewingsdale.
- Construction of interchange works at Myocum Rd and Ewingsdale Rd.
- Woodford Lane upgrade works
- Commencement of concrete paving operations (including out of hours saw cutting) at various locations across the project.
View image gallery – click here